February 06, 2014
by Simon Hansen
As a young chap, growing up in New Zealand, I thought it
would be cool and sweet to one day come to America and be a Camp Counselor.
Little did I know that I would spend a summer at camp, get hooked, and be here 17 years later! It’s crazy to think how camp has been such a huge part of my life and how many fantastic things that have come out of my experience. So, without further adieu, here are the Top Ten Reasons why I, Simon John Hansen the V, love CAMP:
1. The crazy, often ridiculous camp songs/skits/stories that I laugh at no matter how many times I see/hear/tell them – the “Invisible Bench” and “Is it time yet?” or "There was a great big Moose" "I wish I was a Buzzzarrrrd!"
and old "Bunny Foo Foo" They get me EVERY TIME!!
2. You can tell the same 5 jokes at Campfire/Skitnight every weekend for 8 years and people still laugh as if they have never heard them (and these jokes are BAD: What did Tarzan say when he saw the Elephants coming? Here come the Elephants! What did Tarzan say when he saw the Elephants coming with Sunglasses on? Nothing, he didn’t recognize them! Good right?? What's not to love.)
3. With camp friends you pick up right where you left off; regardless of
how long it has been since you’ve seen them.
4. Hiking, sunsets, the forest, rain, snow, sunshine, wind, bugs, snakes, spiders, Lions, Deer, Hawks……being outside and in the woods is so blimmen choice!
5. Corn Dog day Corn Dog day thank you lord for Corn Dog Day!!
6. Summer Water Carnival. Nuff said. And all of the other excellent traditions we have at Camp Marston: Dippy Bird, Candlelight, Dancing in the Dining Hall, Night Hikes, Above and Beyond.....
7. There’s freedom in it – freedom to make a mistake, to make a complete egg of yourself, and to be whoever you want
8. It really is a place that can inspire people to be the best version of themselves
9. It’s so sweet to meet new campers, and then to watch them grow into most excellent counselors/adult humans!
10. Oh, and then lastly there’s this of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm4Iq8loD6o
Bonus Point: 11. I met my beautiful wife Kymm at Camp in 1996. Now that is Sweet As!!
Camp is both Cool and Sweet.
Cheers and see you at Camp,